Monday, May 7, 2007

Repeated Law, Jealous & Generous God

Deuteronomy 13-15 The last book of Torah is Deuteronomy, which means "Repeated Law." God needed to remind us His law so that we will get it. I need lots of reminders to get something. This time, God repeats the entire book - He repeats His law given to us.
You are to follow only God, your God, hold him in deep reverence, keep his commandments, listen obediently to what he says, serve him—hold on to him for dear life!
In chapter 13 God talks very directly about worship of other gods. He hates it. He punishes it by death of the false prophets and the death of other god's worshipers. The Lord is a jealous God. He wants our worship exclusively. God, help me not to have and not to make other gods in my life. Help me to follow You only, Help me to hold You in deep reverence, Help me to keep Your commandments, Help me to obey You, and to hold on to Your for every!

God is also a generous God. He reminds his people to free cancel any debt every 7 years. He reminds his people to set the slaves free every 7th year. God reminds His people to be generous to the poor. In chapter 15:
10-11 Give freely and spontaneously. Don't have a stingy heart. The way you handle matters like this triggers God, your God's, blessing in everything you do, all your work and ventures. There are always going to be poor and needy people among you. So I command you: Always be generous, open purse and hands, give to your neighbors in trouble, your poor and hurting neighbors.
God, help me to five freely and spontaneously. Prevent my heart from growing stingy. Help me Lord to be always generous and to give to the needy. In Jesus name.

No comments: